Skip to main content

Thursday 24 March 2016

PIP - a few that don't affect me

Nil points

There are now several questions where I don't score any points, for which I am grateful! Whilst I want to get points for areas where I genuinely struggle, it is far better for me to have some things that don't cause me any problems at all.

Dressing and undressing.
a. Can dress and undress unaided.  0 points.
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress.  2 points.
c. Needs either -
(i) prompting to be able to dress, undress or determine appropriate circumstances for remaining clothed; or
(ii) prompting or assistance to be able to select appropriate clothing.  2 points.
d. Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their lower body.  2 points.
e. Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their upper body.  4 points.
f. Cannot dress or undress at  all.  8 points.
7. Communicating verbally.
a. Can express and understand verbal information unaided.  0 points.
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to speak or hear.  2 points.
c. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand complex verbal information.  4 points.
d. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand basic verbal information.  8 points.
e. Cannot express or understand verbal information at all even with communication support.  12 points.
8. Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words.
a. Can read and understand basic and complex written information either unaided or using spectacles or contact lenses.  0 points.
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance, other than spectacles or contact lenses, to be able to read or understand either basic or complex written information.  2 points.
c. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand complex written information.  2 points.
d. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand basic written information.  4 points.
e. Cannot read or understand signs, symbols or words at all.  8 points.
9. Engaging with other people face to face.
a. Can engage with other people unaided.  0 points.
b. Needs prompting to be able to engage with other people.  2 points.
c. Needs social support to be able to engage with other people.  4 points.
d. Cannot engage with other people due to such engagement causing either –
(i) overwhelming
psychological distress to the claimant; or
(ii) the claimant to exhibit behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm to the claimant or another person. 8 points.
10. Making budgeting decisions.
a. Can manage complex  budgeting decisions unaided.  0 points.
b. Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make complex budgeting decisions.  2 points.
c. Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make simple budgeting decisions.  4 points.
d. Cannot make any budgeting decisions at all.  6 points.

The dressing and undressing one seemed to surprise my assessor. She asked me how I manage, so I showed her how I use my clothing to lift my leg to put socks and shoes on, etc. She probably knew where I was up to on points and wanted to find me another 2. I would have preferred to get two more though for toileting or for preparing food.

So, here endeth day-to-day living. I score 10 points altogether. Eight points qualifies me for standard rate of PIP. Twelve would have given me the higher rate. For me, I'm grateful that I get something and that it isn't means tested because getting PIP will enable us to adapt the house, buy further aids and get help in that will enable us both to continue working for longer. Long term, this benefit keeps us me in work and off benefits, so it makes sense to give me it.

1 comment:

  1. Nicki i am so pleased you had a positive experience with PIP , Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete