Skip to main content

Tuesday 28 December 2021

Digital diversity

I spent some time pondering the theme, 'freedom to participate', in relation to a possible logo design. In thinking around this theme, I felt that it had more of a connection to the physical world and less the digital world. So for now, I've parked this one. 

Another theme I had identified is 'digital diversity'. Maybe that will generate some better ideas.

Training

In preparation for starting my new job next week, I completed a short course that covered web accessibility. Most of it was stuff I already know, particularly the different types of assistive technology and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). What I found really interesting, was the first module, about how people access online content. It showed lots of videos of people actually using their assistive technology. They talked through the methods they use, what works well and where they face barriers.

POUR

WCAG is divided into four main sections:

  • Perceivable
  • Operable
  • Understandable
  • Robust.

I find these easy to remember using the acronym POUR.

In each of these sections, there is a wealth of diversity. So over the next few posts, I'm going to think a little about each one and explore some ideas around digital diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment