Skip to main content

Saturday 1 October 2016

4th adaptive skiing lesson

This week, I was in a training session about Ofsted and lesson observations. The main learning point was ILP! Impact on Learner Progress. Ofsted don't care how you teach, what methods you use, how good a performance you put on. They want to see evidence of learners making visible progress. Well, if that's all true, Adam, my skiing teacher, must be outstanding!

After a couple of warm-up runs from half way, we went up to the top. The first good thing is that they've got a new lift puller thingy. The old one broke and they borrowed one but the quick release sometimes didn't release and sometimes released when you didn't want it to. The new one is really good. It stays on until you pull the string and then it releases. Brilliant!

The first run down on tethers was scary! I wasn't sure I'd be able to control my turns. It's alright when you've turned and you're going sideways across the slope but at some point, you have to head straight down whilst turning in the opposite direction and that's a panic moment. It was okay though the first couple of times, because Adam kept the tethers quite tight and short, so I could still feel that he was there.

Later in the lesson though, he loosened the tethers and stayed further back. I could feel occasional help with speed but I think I was doing the turning completely by myself. That was really exciting! For the first time, I realised that my dream of skiing completely independently is possible. Adam still insists that I would have to switch to a monoski though and that's less scary now but still quite scary.

This is what I want to be able to do:




In this video, biskiing or dualskiing looks quite possible and I do think it gives me better balance. Maybe I'll have to try it at a resort some time. I'm definitely getting the urge to go skiing in Levi. There are some slopes there that I think I could manage with minimal help. Children's world (lastenmaa) could keep me entertained for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment