Skip to main content

Monday 2 January 2017

Places to go, people to see...

It's the time of year for making New Year's Resolutions but I don't generally follow the crowd on these things. I made my New Year's Resolution last year in May, when I got back from the Norwegian Fjords and realised I was the heaviest I had ever been. Fortunately, just as I was working out how to get healthy and lose some weight, along came the BBC with their Get Inspired challenge and I did. Their challenge inspired me to set some short term goals and start working towards them.

So it's the beginning of 2017 and I'm not making resolutions. 2016 was quite a tough year in some ways. Hardest of all was losing Neil's dad and my childhood best friend in April. I guess you'd have to be quite a tough cookie for deaths not to prompt some degree of reflection. Although we would have liked Neil's dad to keep going for another decade or two, he was an older man who had seen the world and done a lot of stuff. He had children and grandchildren, who all loved him very much. My friend, on the other hand, died young. She left behind young children and never got as far as grandchildren. It was yet another reminder that we really have no idea what's just around the corner.

So with that thought in mind, and knowing how easily time slips away, I've been thinking about what I really want to do during 2017. Mostly, it's really simple stuff... nothing amazing. And these are in no particular order.

Places to go:
  1. Rother Valley Country Park - one of many local places that we haven't been yet.
  2. Cairngorms, Scotland - I'd like to go skiing there sometime.
  3. The beach - probably Scarborough - I want to take a rug and sit on the beach and paddle in the sea. I haven't done that for years!
  4. A European capital that I haven't been to yet. It doesn't matter which one. It would just be nice to see somewhere new.
Things to do:
  1. Sitski without tethers. My goal is to be able to use a lift by myself, get myself ready to ski and then ski down without needing any help. 
  2. Find something that I can do to serve the church. I miss being an active member of the community and would like to feel that I am not someone to be looked after but someone who has a lot to give.
  3. Finish my Masters degree. All being well, I should complete it in October, if everything goes to plan.
  4. Improve my photography skills. I did a course last year so I know how to use my camera properly. It's just a matter of practice now and being more observant.
People to see:
  1. Family and friends. As much as possible, I want to take every opportunity to spend time with the people I love. You just never know when something might happen and I don't want to regret losing touch with anyone.
  2. I'd like to meet other disabled people who are into sport. I'd like to talk to someone who has inspired me and I'd love to ski with Jo Willoughby.
  3. I'd also like to be able to help or inspire someone else. That could be in person or online. 
So that's my plan for 2017. Nothing major. Nothing life-changing. First of all though, and most importantly, I'd like to get rid of this nasty cold that's been making me feel so poorly the last few days. I have to say, the Queen has my sympathy. I didn't make it to church on Sunday either and I don't feel like going anywhere... and I'm not 90!

No comments:

Post a Comment